Australian Rare Earths

Australian Alternative Energy Forum

Not Really a Forum, more of my memory aid.

Comments on this forum should never be taken as investment advice.

Go Back   Alternative Energy Forums > Alternative Energy Discussion > Nuclear

Old 06-04-2014, 01:42 AM
Administrator

Default Does ASX: GGG have the most THORIUM of all?

Following a recent rise in social media commentary, ( Dialogix Social Media Analysis), on thorium I've done a bit of poking around.
I summarized what I found here.

To whet your appetites: Geosciences Australia estimates that Australia has 485,000 tonnes of thorium -- the largest resource in the world -- with other major deposits in India, Turkey and Brazil.

So then I started digging deeper. I wonder how many investors know that Greenland Energy and Minerals ASX: GGG has the world's second or third largest undeveloped uranium resource in the world. (ASX listed GGG and Aura Energy (ASX:AEE) are battling it out for the title of second largest.....) Having been following thorium for a decade or so I remembered an early analysis of GGG's Kvanefjeld's credits beyond uranium, zinc and rare earths elements.

Here is what the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Association) published many years ago: The uranium deposit at Kvanefjeld, the Ilimaussaq intrusion, South Greenland
by Soerensen, H.; Rose-Hansen, J.; Leth Nielsen, B.; Loevborg, L.; Soerensen, E.; Lundgaard, T.
The uranium-thorium deposits is located in part of an alkaline intrusion consisting of peralkaline, agpaitic nepheline syenites. The radioactive minerals are steenstrupine, uranium-rich monazite, thorite and pigmentary material. The radio-element content varies from 100 to 3000 ppm Uranium and 300 to 15000 ppm Thorium.

This gives a strong hint that GGG is likely sitting on between 3 - 5 times as much thorium as uranium and that would make it a huge resource.... with the added bonus of great chemistry allowing for easy extraction.

GGG's resources - 2014: 956 Mt containing 575 Mlbs U3O8, 10.33 Mt TREO, 2.25 Mt zinc TREO includes 0.37 Mt heavy REO, 0.84 Mt yttrium oxide.

It would seem that Greenland is in a pivotal position to take electricity production away from coal and also be at the center of the coming electron economy via its enormous rare earths resources.

Disclaimer: The author of this post, may or may not be a shareholder of any of the companies mentioned in this column. No company mentioned has sponsored or paid for this content. Comments on this forum should never be taken as investment advice.