Thread: Coal to WAX
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Alite

I'll elaborate. Hydrocarbons by definition contain Carbon and Hydrogen. Underground coal gassification (UGC) takes long chain hydrocarbons mixed with inorganics in the form of coal and uses heat to remove the carbon from the inorganic material. The carbon is brought to the surface as CO or CH4. Apparently H2 is also liberated (all combined = Syngas) though I do not pretend to understand how that is done.
Once the monomer gasses (CH4) are captured they can be modified via the Fisher Tropsh process into longer chain hydrocarbons. If the process is "stopped" at under straight chain C16 then you will get a liquid at room temp. If it continues past C17 then you get a wax. Branching can be introduced to provide different characteristics to the wax.
But Ohhh, there is so much more that one can do when combining carbon molecules; the carbon nanotube being my favorite for its extreme characteristics.
But back to the topic at hand, hydrocarbon wax has a multitude of uses which mostly revolve around its waterproofing nature.

Sparty, why do you ask the question?

Disclaimer: The author of this post, may or may not be a shareholder of any of the companies mentioned in this column. No company mentioned has sponsored or paid for this content. Comments on this forum should never be taken as investment advice.

Last edited by Alite; 06-15-2014 at 02:59 PM.