Australian Rare Earths

Australian Alternative Energy Forum

Not Really a Forum, more of my memory aid.

Comments on this forum should never be taken as investment advice.

Go Back   Alternative Energy Forums > Alternative Energy Discussion > Nuclear

Old 07-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Default Australia Shoulders Its' Responsibilities

It appears that Australia is about to embark on a program of increased uranium mining and export as part of its response to helping the world produce emmission free base load electricity.

Australia "the lucky energy country" has sufficient energy to power its' industries and households for centuries to come. But many countries do not enjoy the same energy status.

(They don't have Australia's huge geothermal resources nor do they have sufficient gas or suitable coal deposits for underground coal gasification and the conversion of the resultant syngas to diesel and other fuels that will form the basis of new clean energy supplies)

The Australian Labor Party made it clear that they were in favor of increasing Australia's uranium production to aid other less fortunate countries with their fight against global warming a couple of years ago.

The Australian Federal Labor Party is now putting emphasis on changing Queensland's negative position on uranium mining and as Australia has around 40% of the world's uranium and Queensland has just on 40% of Australia's uranium it is important that Queensland shifts its' position.

The article below will be one of many that seeks to explore this issue:

Uranium expansion policy clear: Rudd
Tuesday July 21, 2009, 5:12 pm

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says the Government has made it clear that it is prepared to see an expansion in uranium mining.

Federal Resources and Energy Minister Martin Ferguson says it is inevitable that uranium will be mined in Queensland, despite the State Government's opposition to the idea.

Mr Rudd says he is not aware of Mr Ferguson's comments.
But he says the Labor Party's policy on uranium mining was made clear at the national conference two years ago.

"Which is when we had a big debate, over what was then described as the three mines policy, I put forward a proposal to change the policy, the policy changed," he said.

"I think the vote was quite tight as I seem to remember, a bit of nail biting there towards the end, but that's when it was changed, and I think that frankly shapes what has occurred since then."

http://au.biz.yahoo.com/090721/31/27j3b.html

Disclaimer: The author of this post, may or may not be a shareholder of any of the companies mentioned in this column. No company mentioned has sponsored or paid for this content. Comments on this forum should never be taken as investment advice.

Tags
australian uranium, queensland uranium