Australian Rare Earths

Australian Alternative Energy Forum

Not Really a Forum, more of my memory aid.

Comments on this forum should never be taken as investment advice.

Go Back   Alternative Energy Forums > Alternative Energy Discussion > Gas

Old 11-01-2010, 07:53 AM
power_guyq

Exclamation CO2 Transportation for CCS - Innovative Ideas?

When we talk of carbon capture, most times the discussion is about carbon capture or carbon storage. Rarely has the discussions been about the transport of CO2 from the place of capture to the region where it is stored.

To some extent, this ignorance of the transport part of the CCS is understandable because transportation of CO2 - especially by pipeline - is a well understood territory and the costs of doing this is much less than for capture.

However, in one scenario, CO2 transport becomes important - this is where the individual industries emit relatively small amounts of CO2, and hence constructing long pipelines for transport may not make economic sense. In this context, I came across the interesting idea of pooling these CO2 together and transporting the pooled, larger quantity. (See a blog post on the same "CO2 Transport R&D Project Launched by EU COCATE" ).

In my opinion, this opens up an interesting avenue by which small scale emitters could also potentially consider CCS. But of course, the capture costs are still very high, and if there is some way of bringing it down as well, we could well have a world where even small scale CO2 emitters (such as small and medium scale fermentation units) can dream of CO2.

What do you think?

Disclaimer: The author of this post, may or may not be a shareholder of any of the companies mentioned in this column. No company mentioned has sponsored or paid for this content. Comments on this forum should never be taken as investment advice.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:03 AM
Administrator

I find the concept of using the emitted CO2 to make building products or to enrich algae ponds etc to be an exciting idea. But so far CO2 capture seems to be a long way away.

I wonder if we will really see vast amounts of CO2 pumped under pressure into old oil wells or spent UCG chambers.

Disclaimer: The author of this post, may or may not be a shareholder of any of the companies mentioned in this column. No company mentioned has sponsored or paid for this content. Comments on this forum should never be taken as investment advice.

Tags
carbon capture, carbon emission